DSG Warminster was selected as one of three finalists in the South West Medium Employer of the Year category of the South West Skills Awards. The award ceremony was held earlier this year in Exeter and DSG’s Apprenticeship programme came second in its category. But that was not the end of the story for the Warminster apprentices and their training mentors.
Although 250 individuals and companies were nominated, coming in as runner up was well deserved recognition for all the hard work put in by everyone involved in the apprentice scheme at DSG Warminster.
It was then announced that DSG Warminster was through to the National Finals, which were held at Royal Horticultural Halls in London on 10 July 2008. The event was attended by DSG’s Chief Executive, Archie Hughes who joined Warminster’s Apprentice Training Manager, Mat Havery, Andy Bowley, Warminster Apprentice of the Year and Steve Weston, DSG Apprentice Master.
DSG Warminster had a successful evening receiving the Highly Commended Award, trophy and plaque presented by popular TV actor and personality Amanda Holden.
Speaking about this achievement and coming up against the best in the country, Archie Hughes said, “This award is testament to a great team at Warminster who are all fully committed to the apprentices and continue to raise the bar in training excellence. DSG has a wealth of homegrown talent coming up through our apprentice schemes and this award justifies the investment we are making in our engineers of tomorrow.”
Notes to Editors
1. DSG launched on 1 April 2008 and brought together the ABRO and DARA businesses into a single new defence Trading Fund. DSG’s primary focus will be in providing expert in-house maintenance, repair, overhaul and upgrade services for the through life support of the key land and air based platforms and equipment for the UK Armed Forces.
2. It draws together many unique capabilities that have been developed over several decades for the direct benefit of troops and their equipment at both home and abroad. The combined businesses will turnover in excess of £270m, with a workforce of around 3500 strategically located throughout the UK.
3. DSG’s Head Office is located in Andover and provides strategic direction to the main sites in Bovington, Catterick, Colchester, Donnington, Sealand, St Athan, Stafford, Stirling and Warminster. Smaller support sites located in Aldershot, Bicester, Edinburgh, Kinnegar, Sennybridge and York further enhances DSG’s geographic coverage. Small support teams are also permanently embedded in other UK military sites.
4. Picture attached shows Mat Havery, Andy Bowley and Steve Weston receiving their award from Amanda Holden.
5. For further information about DSG, contact the Press Office on –
Tel: 01264 385799 during normal office hours
Out of hours – call 07710 789853
Issued: 18 July 2008